Boat Insurance Glossary – W


The term wake literally means to come to life or to cause to stir. Thus a boat’s wake is simply the water disturbance that is left behind/ astern as a vessel travels through water.
A very strong rope, usually fixed to one end, used for moving or anchoring large vessels.
A boat whose hull has been filled/ submerged with water.
Any inland water-bound route such as estuary, canal, river or lake that vessels (with appropriate boat insurance!) can travel on.
To wear is to sail through 360 degrees in order to avoid a jibe/ gybe thus changing your downwind direction.
A winch device used typically used to assist in raising an anchor or pulling on sail lines.
A windlass is normally used within boating to haul sails, to open/close canal lock paddles (on inland waterways) or to raise/lower anchors. A windlass can be fixed (usually as part of a rotational drum device) or free standing (e.g. when used on canal lock gates). From a boat insurance perspective a windlass would be considered an integral part of a boat’s equipment.
Towards the direction from which the wind is blowing.